There are enormous variations in cost for document translation service in Johannesburg and It can be confusing to know translation rates or what to expect to pay. Whether the translations are offered by freelance translators or translation agencies, translation prices are set based on a number of criteria. Here are the key points to understand how a translation price is determined.
First and foremost, translation rates are not one-size-fits-all. It is based on a series of factors, namely:
- The language pair
- The complexity of the text
- The turnaround time
- Document format
- The word count
What you should know:
- Total cost, price terms, and turnaround time should be agreed upon at the very beginning stages of the service agreement.
- The vast majority of translations are invoiced on the basis of the number of words in the original document (word-count)
- Flat fees for payment by the hour or page are not ordinarily used as a billing method for lengthy documents. However, in the case of certified / sworn translation or shorter documents it is more common. On average, expect to pay R500 per page, depending on the document type and the target language.
- The most common pricing method and industry standard is determined by a cost per word basis. On average, expect to pay between R0.90 and R1.5 per word.
- It is common for agencies to charge higher fees for languages with more complex translation demands for example translation from Afrikaans to Arabic.
- Some translation services charge extra fees for proofreading, rush translation and editing services.
Did you know…?
On average a translator can translate up to 2,000 words per day Therefore, a project of 4,000 words will take 2 work days, or even 3 if a proofreading or quality control service is requested.
Frenchside is a Pretoria-based translation agency with a track record of high quality translation. For over 10 years, our translation services have helped our clients in South Africa build deeper relationships with their customers around the world. We work in French, Portuguese, Spanish and German languages. If you have any questions you’d like to discuss, please give us a call on: Cell / WhatsApp: 081 347 6060 Tel: 012 348 3134 . Alternatively, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our friendly team will get back to you.